Curriculum and Instruction Doctoral Program Admission Requirements
The Graduate Admissions Committee reviews applications twice per year, on March 1 for summer/fall admission and October 1 for spring admission. The application can be found on the UM Graduate School Website. Submit the application, and pay the $60 fee online. Then submit the following materials to the Graduate Program Coordinator:
- Letter of intent including academic and professional goals and philosophy of teaching and learning
- Resume including experiences with children and adolescents
- Writing sample from academic work or publication
- Official transcripts from all previous institutions attended
- B.A./B.S. GPA of 3.0 or higher
- M.A./M.Ed./M.S. GPA of 3.25 or higher
- Three letters of recommendation
- Official test scores (GRE or MAT) no older than five years:
- Graduate Record Exam (GRE): Verbal of 460 or higher, Quantitative of 520 or higher, Writing 4.5 or higher; OR
- Miller Analogies Test (MAT): 375 or higher
International students whose first language is not English and who are not graduates of an English-speaking university must submit TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language), IELTS (International English Language Testing System) or MELAB (Michigan English Language Assessment Battery) scores. If the TOEFL score is below 580 (paper-based test), 237 (computer-based test) or 92 (internet-based test), the IELTS score is below 7.0 or the MELAB score is below 82, applicants may be admitted provisionally into a graduate program or as a graduate nondegree student and be required to complete English as a Second Language course(s) before they can take courses in their major; contact Helen at (406) 243-6257 for GRE testing information.
C&I Graduate Program Teaching Assistantships are incredibly competitive, due to the limited positions available at both the Master's and Doctoral level. TA applications are only accepted during the March 1st deadline for the following academic year. Please contact the C&I Graduate Program Co-Coordinators for more information.