Public and Community Health
Public and Community Health Educators have been defined by The U.S. Department of Labor Bureau of Labor Statistics (SOC 21-1091.00) as those who promote, maintain and improve individual and community health by assisting individuals and communities to adopt healthy behaviors and collect and analyze data to identify community needs prior to planning, implementing, monitoring, and evaluating programs designed to encourage healthy lifestyles and environments. Community Health Educators may also serve as a resource to assist individuals, other health professionals or the community. Students graduating with a bachelor's degree in Community Health will be eligible to take the national exam to become Certified Health Education Specialists.
The Bureau of Labor Statistics (2009) projects employment of health educators to grow faster than average for all occupations through 2014, and, best of all, projects that people seeking work in this field will have favorable job prospects.
Listed below are selected examples of jobs that HHP students graduating in this area have obtained:
- STD/HIV Specialist - State Public Health Department
- Nutrition Educator - Women, Infant, and Children's (WIC) Nutrition Program
- Wellness Specialist - Corporate Wellness Program
- Health Educator - Indian Health Services
- Special Events Coordinator - YMCA Recreational Programs
- Housing Coordinator - Missoula AIDS Council
- Program Planner - Rural Institute on Disabilities
- Health Educator - American Cancer Society
- Nutrition Educator - Missoula Aging Services
- Health Educator - Public Health Department; Obesity Prevention Program
- Coordinator of Tobacco Free Ravali - County Public Health Department
- Health Specialist - Alaska Flower Essences
- Health Educator - University Student Wellness Program
- Wellness Coordinator - City County Staff Wellness
- Safety Director - City County Health & Safety
- HIV Prevention Specialist -County Public Health Department
- Coordinator - Montana Targeted Outreach HIV Prevention Project
- Corporate Fitness Specialist - Private Corporation
In addition, Public and Community Health students have gone on to graduate school in Community or Public Health Education and/or in a field related to Public and Community Health. Students have also pursued graduate work in Social Work, Counseling, and Nursing.