Department of Communicative Sciences and Disorders
The Communicative Sciences and Disorders (CSD) program prepares students to work as professionals in the areas of speech-language pathology, an excellent career path for work in clinical areas within education and allied health. Speech-language pathologists work with people experiencing challenges with communication across the life span. Settings include schools, hospitals and public and private clinics. Professional positions are readily available across Montana, most other states, and internationally. The CSD program is designed to meet rigorous standards set by the Council on Academic Accreditation in Audiology and Speech-Language Pathology (CAA) of the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association (ASHA). Our graduate program is in candidacy for accreditation by the CAA in speech-language pathology. Our graduates are able to apply for full licensure and certification.
The mission of The University of Montana, Department of Communicative Sciences and Disorders academic and clinical program is to mentor students of strong personal character and to establish in them a commitment to lifelong learning and interest in the process of communication. It is to develop, within each student, compassion toward their clients and a research posture in their service delivery. Through the program’s emphasis on typical and atypical speech, language, and hearing, students gain knowledge, skills, and values that foster their individual growth as well as a passion for contributing to society and improving the lives of others.
The CSD Department along with the RiteCare Speech, Language and Hearing Clinic are located in the lower level of the Curry Health Center.
- Prepares students for graduate study in speech-language pathology and audiology. The curriculum includes coursework, independent research, and clinical observations.
- Provides students with the foundational knowledge for graduate study in speech-language pathology.
- See information on how to apply to the leveling program
- Prepares students for licensure and certification as speech-language pathologists
Distance Learning Opportunities
- Each of our degree programs has a distance learning opportunity
- More Information
- The RiteCare Speech, Language and Hearing Clinic provides diagnostic and treatment services for clients with communication challenges across the age span and is a clinical practicum site for our graduate students.
- More Information
Academic email: email@example.com